Summer 1964

Archive index
Email us


This is the last issue of the magazine of the Downhills Central Selective Secondary School. Subject to the final decision of the Department of Science and Education, in September we unite with South Grove Girls' School and South Grove Boys' School to become one Secondary School.

This is a time for looking forward, rather than back, but a tribute must be paid in these pages to the work of head teachers, assistant staff and thousands of pupils who have made the school what it is to-day; one whose reputation stands high among the people of Tottenham. Some of their names will live in the public records, others only in the thoughts and hearts of their friends and colleagues: to all we say "Thank you for your part in Downhills School."

The future school will be built on the foundations of the three schools which are coming together to form it, but its future will be in the hands of all of us. Difficulties there will undoubtedly be, but difficulties can with goodwill from all concerned be surmounted. Next term, next year, will be demanding. In meeting those demands the old Downhills motto will stand us in good stead, and the school will live on in its initials - Duty, Courage, Success.

AN OUTING by Paul New (3S)

A few weeks before the exams, some third and fourth years went to "The World Book Fair". We had to be at school by one fifteen, as the coach left at one thirty. But, just like our summer, it rained, heavily. The coach journey was enjoyed very much and it took us about an hour to get there.

Once inside, the first thing that caught our eye was some of the wonderful automatic printing and duplicating machines. We walked up the first aisle and looked at the interesting books. At one end of the hall there was a sports arena where cricket, badminton, sea casting (with rod and line), high jump and the long jump took place at certain times on certain days.

The "Times" stand was very interesting with a very large duplicating machine, which, when the printed sheet was introduced into a slot, and a button was pressed, duplicated the same printing but on a larger scale.

There were several shows of foreign books: French, German, Italian and Russian were to be found in quantities. Penguin, Pan and many other 'paper back' publishers had stands showing both new and old books. Brooke Bond Tea had a small stand, with two cages, in one cage there was a fox cub and in the other, a badger.

Around the side of the book show there were bars where beer and other alcoholic drinks were served.

We were told to meet at the sports arena at half past four, which we all did. But then we waited three-quarters of an hour for our coach to come. By six thirty we arrived back at school, and as we walked home, we all got wet as the rain was coming down even harder than before.


On July l6th a party of 37 fourth-formers accompanied by members of the English staff saw a performance of "Macbeth", part of the Shakespeare 400th Birthday celebrations at the Mermaid Theatre.

On July 21st two coaches with members of 4th, 5th, and 6th forms accompanied by several members of staff visited Stratford-upon-Avon to see the Shakespeare Exhibition.

Shakespeare's 400th. Birthday was commemorated in Assembly on April 23rd.

SAILING TO NEW HORIZONS by Christine Rudd (6th Form)

We sailed, on the 3rd August, 1963 in M.S. Devonia, from Grangemouth, Scotland. Bound for: Vigo (Spain), Casablanca (N. Africa) and Lisbon (Portugal). We arrived back on the 17th.

Rain greeted us when we arrived at Grangemouth after ten hours travelling up from London. We staggered towards the coaches clutching our cases, and finally set off for M.S. Devonia. Once on board a meal was consumed and we all bedded down for the night. In the morning we passed through customs, then watched all the Scottish people coming on board. At 12.30 we sailed for Vigo.

To get to our first port of call we had to pass through the Bay of Biscay. I don't know why, but most people suffered a decline in their health at that time. Spirits brightened, however, when we arrived at Vigo. From behind the bunker fuel pit, the buildings of Vigo rose up to the sky. We spent a few happy hours there, wandering around the town and bathing on Samil Beach. Before leaving, we watched Spanish dancers who performed on the quay. Then amid cheers and friendly waving we left our berth at Vigo and continued on our journey. Next stop Casablanca, city of the sun.

Our arrival at Casablanca was greeted by officials, Moslem people, European people and street traders. What struck me most was the fact that the land is so flat and everything looks pale brown and bright. Because we had arrived in the afternoon, there was time for a walk into town before the evening meal. The shops were rather different from what we were used to, and the shopkeepers more so. They seemed so willing for us to enter their shops that on some occasions we were literally dragged inside them. We felt more at home when it was found that Pepsi Colas were sold in the bars. We also found these drinks in Vigo but not in Lisbon.

Anyhow, in the morning we went for a tour of Casablanca, our guide was nicknamed Peewee. The first stop was at the Palace, then we went to the Law Courts. After driving around the European quarter and the Medina, we were taken to Miami Beach, where we bathed and drank Pepsi Colas. The drive back to the ship took twenty minutes. The only disappointment we had was that no camels were seen on the whole trip, no real ones anyway.

In a very short time we were allowed ashore again and we were spending our money. It wasn't very difficult. Much bargaining was done to get prices to the right level and in the end almost everyone was satisfied and had enjoyed it all tremendously. There were a few of course who proclaimed that they had been well and truly done!

On arriving back at the ship we waved away the street traders and climbed up the gangplank very tired from our excursions. That night we would have slept well had it not been for the heat.

We travelled onward, along the Portuguese coast until arrival at Lisbon. This is a very clean looking place, so very different from Casablanca. The ship berthed in the evening so we dormitory passengers could not go ashore.

In the morning phase 2 gallantly set out in search for the town centre. An hour later we were still looking for it! With determination we plodded on and managed somehow to spend our money on presents and ice-cream. Then we split up into groups of four and called taxis. Arriving in perfect style we waited for the last group. At last they arrived, and explained that the taxi driver had started to take them to the airport. Luckily one of them had a piece of paper and a pencil so he drew for the driver a picture of the ship. He understood eventually and changed direction.

Coaches took us in the afternoon for a tour of Lisbon. We visited Prince Henry The Navigator's Monument, a castle, many squares, the university and the sports stadium. Arriving back at the pier where M.S. Devonia was berthed, there was time for last minute shopping. At 6 o'clock or as now we are used to calling it, 1800 hrs., we set sail, homeward bound.

Now that the cruise is nearly over I am looking forward to my own wonderful bed and such luxuries as plates to eat food from. We have enjoyed ourselves and seen many beautiful sights, but as the old saying goes There's No Place Like Home! And that's where I want to be.


It has come to my attention that a strange new species of pupil has intermingled, with the 4th form. This rare breed has a superiority complex and blurts out commands. When it approaches the lines, one feels a compulsion to rip out ones shirt collar. When you line up for dinner, it broods over the lines and rejects pupils to the rear of the line.

The elders of the species to which we have been accustomed, have made a 'nest' next to the headmaster's room. One of the newer species stands hawkeyed at the front entrance tabulating the names of late-comers.

When you stagger to the front entrance, dying and gasping for water (in the form of Jubbly or Jungle Juice), you are rebuked and thrown back.

A female variety has also been discovered, and behaves in a similar sort of way. Observations are being made, and we hope to capture one to analyse it.

Professor Rowe of Downhills research laboratory suggests that we should call them Deputy Prefects.

Next page >>>>>